My Problem With Belly Button Rings

While I'm likely in the minority, some of you can probably relate. I'm a grown woman with children, yet my own mother has "gotten her groove back;" otherwise known as a mid-life crisis. This past year she's sold her sedate 4-door car for a sporty model. She's let her hair grow longer and raiding my closet during visits ostensibly to see the grandkids! Most horrifying of all - she's made subtle inquiries about belly button rings!

As children, we grow up making assumptions about our parents. We probably put them in neat little boxes with labels because they were always there, being our Cheerleader or Teacher, Chauffeur or Maid. Our parents were not seen as unique individuals with their own dreams and interests, or we discounted them in favor of our own interests. We didn't act out of meanness, we just didn't think of them as social animals.

Now my mom is in her late 50's and seems to have found her second wind. I'm proud that she's enjoying life and taking time for herself. But I'm just not sure I can handle the thought of her wearing belly button rings. My father may be gone, but she's still my mother and should act like it.

Not wanting to squelch her spirit, I decided to have a talk with her to find out why belly button rings were on her radar. In turns out her motivation is more toward showing off her diet and exercise accomplishments than any sort of statement. For the first time in her adult life, she felt comfortable in her own skin; she felt attractive and desirable. She thought belly button rings might be a way to demonstrate the freedom she was now feeling.

Thankfully, we arrived at a comfortable compromise. She's going to get highlights in her hair instead!

An organization fanatic, Julie loves finding creative ways to set her home (and yours!) to rights with practical products and efficient problem-solving. Tackle your closet with closet organizers and visit Space Savers for other great products sure to help with your clutter problem.


Original article

No comments:

Blog Archive